St Catharine's College
ST. CATHARINE'S COLLEGE was founded to the honour of the glorious Virgin Martyr, St Catharine, by Dr. Wodelarke, Provost of King's and Chancellor of the University in 1473, on ground gradually purchased by him.
The original College, situate near Milne Street, being small, irregular, and inconvenient, was pulled down in 1673, except one part, built in 1634, which forms the present western side of the second, or "Bull Court," and the building of the present court was then commenced.
The Chapel is a plain building with good oak panelling. The carving is by Francis Woodward and was completed in 1704 during the mastership of Sir William Dawes, Bart. (afterwards Archbishop of York).
In 1895 the old oak-work was restored and the Ante Chapel enlarged and panelled, Garner being the architect and Kett the builder. At the same time a remarkably fine-toned organ, by Norman & Beard, was placed over the Ante-Chapel.
The Hall was re-panelled with oak in good style and an oriel window added in 1868. It contains portraits of Dr. Wodelarke, Bishop Lightfoot, Mrs. Ramsden, a benefactress, by Kneller; Bishop Hoadley, the famous leader in the Bangorian Controversy; Bishop Sherlock, the great opponent of Hoadley; and Archbishop
Sandys, who was Master of the College and Vice-Chancellor when Northumberland (sent to arrest Mary) finding that Lady Jane Grey's cause was lost proclaimed Queen Mary in the market-place.
Sandys ( a partisan of Lady Jane) stood his ground and was sent to the Tower, whence he was released and became an exile until the reign of Elizabeth.
In 1847 Queen Victoria and the Prince Consort dined in the Hall as the guests of Dr. Philpott, Master of the College, then Vice-Chancellor and afterwards Bishop of Worcester.
The Library, a handsome room with oak hook-cases, is over the hall and combination room. It was refitted in 1756 by Bishop Sherlock, who at his death bequeathed his entire library to the College. The Medical Cabinet of Dr. Addenbrooke is preserved here.
In the combination room are portraits of Charles II. when a youth, Dr. Goslyn on panel, Archdeacon Blackburn, Lord Cutts of Childerley and others. Archbishop Sandys, Dr. John Addenbrooke, the founder of Addenbrooke's Hospital, Lord Cutts, "the Salamander," so called because of his distinguished bravery in the wars of William III., Oliver Cromwell, the second son of the Protector, John Eachard, the author of "Grounds and Occasions of the Contempts of the Clergy and Religion," Strype, the historian, Shirley, the dramatist, and Bunbury, the caricaturist, were members of this College; also John Bradford, the martyr, and John Ray, the naturalist, who died 1704.
Website: St Catharine's College