A review of The Greyhound by The Yo-Yo written on Sunday 2nd of March 2008
It has come to my attention that there is a very mixed bag of reviews on the web about the Greyhound.
Please let me set a few things to rights....
1. I know that the Greyhound has been going through bad times over the past few years. A succession of bad Landlords have come and gone but finally the balance is being restored. A cheery welcome is now guaranteed in the 'Hound for everybody - new or old.
2. Yes, the decor and furnishings are in desperate need of replacement. This is being looked into and plans are afoot. In the meantime, regard the pub as being "rustic" and "Well used" !
3. The locals at the Greyhound are not as scary as some people have made them out to be. Please remember, it is a "Working Man's" pub not a classy bistro or tapas bar! It is a format that has worked for hundreds of years and doesn't bow down to commercialisation. Come in your scruffs or your sunday best!
4. Entertainment has been mentioned in the past. Karaoke is at the Greyhound every sunday night with a lively and entertaining DJ. Live music is also in the mix. Last Sunday (24/2/08), ABBA Queens performed a live set and we have plans for the near future for other acts. The music is not played too loud and, indeed, if anybody feels that their ears are about to burst, let us know and we will gladly get the DJ's to reduce the volume (within reasonable levels!).
5. The "Rowdy" element of the Greyhound has always been a bone of contention. In any pub you will find loud and occasionally gruff people. This is a fact of the pub life - but, it has been well overused in the case of the Greyhound. The staff at the Greyhound will listen to and act on any accussations of violence, drug use or any other anti-social issues. The pub is also a member of Pubwatch which is sponsored by the Council and the local Police force.
6. At the moment the Kitchen at the Greyhound is not open (due to staffing issues). The chances are very good that it will be open very soon and serving good quality HOT and COLD food and a very reasonable price.
7. The drinks are of a very good quality and are at one of the lowest prices is Cambridge. We have at least 2 guest ales which change regularly and there is a wide selection of Draught and bottled beers along with Spirits and Wine.
8. Other amenities include : Pool table, Juke box, 2 "Fruit" Machines, a Poker machine and touch screen multi-game system.
In other words, what I am trying to say is....
DON'T KNOCK IT UNTIL YOU'VE TRIED IT !
Watch this space for more as it happens. I will keep you all informed!.
Now showing reviews 1-5 of 17
View all The Greyhound reviews
NOTE: Reviews are submitted by visitors of our site. The contents of this page are in no way representative of the entity being reviewed, The Greyhound, and are merely third party opinions. Cambridge Online accepts no liability in respect of any material submitted by visitors and published by us and we are not responsible for its content and accuracy. For further details, see our Terms & Conditions.
Map showing The Greyhound on Coldhams Lane